When an inspection has been commissioned, the inspector will need to prepare onshore, as an internet connection is required, by downloading the relevant inspection template.
On the Home screen select ‘Start a new inspection’. You will need to log in if you haven’t already done so.
- Select the vessel operator, vessel, inspection type (eCMID or eMISW) and client – you can search for a vessel and there’s a ‘Same as vessel operator’ link to quickly select the client where appropriate.
- Select ‘Create vessel template’ – this will collect any data entered by the vessel operator (such as vessel particulars and certification) to help speed the inspection process.
If the vessel is not yet registered on the system:
- Contact the vessel operator. If the company is registered, they should add the vessel to their account. If the company is not yet registered, ask them to register.
- If possible, wait for this to be completed then restart the ‘Get data for a new inspection’ process to download data entered by the operator.
- If you cannot wait for the vessel to be added to the eCMID database, choose the ‘Start with a blank template’ option at the bottom of the screen. You will then be able to complete the inspection report within the application and link to the vessel later. Exporting to PDF is disabled if this option is chosen and you will need to link to the vessel before you can upload the report to the eCMID database.
AVI data and supervision
You may see a prompt headed ‘Approval to complete inspection not found’, noting that you will need to be supervised by an inspector approved to complete inspections of this type.
If you are accredited, you should check that your accreditation details have been entered onto the system by the IIMS Marine Surveying Academy.
If you are not yet accredited, the supervising AVI will need to log in to unlock the upload function. This is achieved via the Overview screen and the ‘Supervisor login’ button. This process must be completed in person and requires an internet connection, but once complete, the report can be uploaded later, without the supervisor present.
Add or edit supplements
The next screen will display the supplements available for the inspection type (eCMID or eMISW). Select all supplements relevant to the vessel (e.g. if the vessel has a dynamic positioning system, you must select the DP supplement, even if the system is not currently in use, as that might change during the one-year validity period of the inspection report.
If you are not yet accredited for a supplement (or if your accreditation details have not been entered onto the system – see above), you may need to select the ‘Supervisor present’ button. The supervisor will need to log in (see above).
If you need to change the supplements selected at a later stage, go to the Questions section and select ‘Add/Edit Supplements’ at the bottom of the page
Completing your preparations
You will now be presented with the Overview screen. Click ‘Save’ in the toolbar to finalise the download (see our separate guide to the various save and export options). As the last step, disconnect from all networks (perhaps via an airplane mode) to check that you can access the inspection while offline. You can also ‘Save to file’ if you wish to retain a backup (not iOS/iPadOS).